Roman Hoods: Monteverde

Ever since we do not live in Rome anymore, my family and I use home-exchange when we go back to Rome. This is a great website where you find like-minded people that let you use their home while they stay at your home.
It is a great way to travel. You do not feel like a tourist, you get out of your confort zone, and it is full of surprises.
This is how we discoverd a variety of Roman neighbourhood that you normally do not experience.

In the Summer 2015 we stayed at Monteverde. It is up the hill right behind the Gianicolo. So in the summer there is always a little bit more of a fresh breeze than downtown. It is mostly residential, but you also have easy access to two wonderful parcs (Villa Sciarra and Villa Doria Pamphillii), two of my favorite restaurants, a charming street market and nice cafés.

Not so great is the connection to public transport. There are two life lines. The bus 75, that was not very reliable that summer and the tram number 8 which is quite reliable but not so close by.

The closeness to the Gianicolo offered me the pleasure of making my early morning walks towards this terracce with one of the most epic views in the world. Simply spectacular:


Romantic entrances and gardens like this always attaract me and they make me curious about the people that might live there or had lived there a long time ago. Rome is full of stories.





The national hero Garbaldi fought for the unification of Italy and after he had conquered Sicily his battle cry was "Rome or Death". Today this motto is emplazed on the monument on piazzale Garibaldi. In combination with the breath-taking view, I cannot help but feel patriotic - even though I am German.


 From the other side of the Gianicolo, you see St. Peters.




After the walk I could directly buy wonderful fruit for breakfast at the street market. I have to say that grocery shopping without a supermarket is so nice.


Then, on my second morning walk, I discovered  truely magical place: Vill Sciarra. It is one of the many parcs that used to belong to Roman nobel families that became public. I was completely blown away.










A bit father to the north I got almost lost in the vast Dora Pamphilii Parc.In the morning it is full of brave Roman joggers and dog owners.


At the other end of this huge parc is a palace which looks almost unreal.





After so much irreal beauty I needed my cappuccino and found it along with these colorful cakes in a lovely Pasticceria/Gelateria.




Beside all these ancient treasures and natural beauties, Monteverdo also offers a very modern, hip Restaurants: Vineria Litro (t. (+39) 06 4544 7639) is a funky place where you can enjoy wonderful local and organic food, a unique atmosphere and very warm-hearted service. We instantly felt at home.



If you want to get a glimps into Monteverde I would recommend a late afternoon stroll through Villa Sciarra (careful, the parc closes at 18h), followed by an aperitivo on the Gianicolo (there is only a kiosk, but they have drinks) before you head for dinner at Litro. Yes, I might even do exactly this on my next visite to Rome.
Eviva, Monteverde!

Comments

Popular Posts